Parishes


 St Paul’s, Glenageary

Rector: The Revd Gary Dowd

Contact: 01-2801616

E-mail garydowd@eircom.net

 

The name Glenageary is derived from an Irish place name meaning “the glen of the sheep”.  The Parish is a compact geographical area located in close proximity to the sea and to the villages of Glasthule, Sandycove, Dalkey and Killiney.

 

The church building dates from 1868 and was one of seven that were built in the old parish of Monkstown.  It cost £4000 to construct and the money was provided out of a bequest by a Miss Shannon, described as a wealthy lady of Belfast.  The church has been modified on several occasions since it opened and a nine month refurbishment project was completed in 2013.

In 2007 a much anticipated and long awaited new parish centre was opened in the grounds of the church. Of contemporary design and finished to a high specification, it now provides state of the art facilities for both parish and community based organisations.

Church Services:  Sunday 8.15 am 10.30 am and 7 pm

Wednesday 11 am

Sunday Club for children aged 4+ meets during the main morning service on the second and fourth Sunday of each month.

 

 

Holy Trinity Church, Killiney

Rector:  The Rev’d Canon Niall J. Sloane.

Phone: 012852695

Email: rector.htkilliney@dublin.anglican.org

Holy Trinity Church, the ‘church on the hill’ as it has often been called, is the parish church of the area in which the school is located.

It was built in 1859- just 3 years after the railway line passing through Killiney was laid. The railway line with its various stations on the route made way for the building of many houses in the area and hence the need for a church. The church was built on part of the grounds of Killiney Castle, then owned by Robert Warren who paid a considerable amount of the cost of the building and whose nephew, Sandham Symes, was the architect of the church.

One of the treasures of the church is a window designed and created by the famous Harry Clarke. The title of the window is ‘Angel of Peace’ or ‘Angel of Hope,’ and people come from all around the world to see it.  For many years the school for this parish was on Killiney Hill Road, at its junction with Strathmore Road. Over 30 years ago, this school was combined with Glenageary School, and the present school was built to accommodate the combined schools.

Worship in the church continues Sunday by Sunday, just as it has done for over 150 years. The Carry Centre across the road from the church is a hub for community and parochial activities throughout the week, and Sunday Club for children is held there on many Sundays of the year. We are fortunate that Frank Hughes, who teachers choir in the school, is also the organist in Holy Trinity Church.

Times of worship:  Sundays 8.30am and 10.45am.  Thursdays 10.30am.

 

 

 

 St Matthias’, Killiney

st-matthias

St.Matthias’ Church is located in the parish of Killiney/Ballybrack, in the heart of South County Dublin. The parish motto, “Embracing life in all its fullness”, is taken from John’s Gospel chapter 10 verse 10. This Church of Ireland is in the United Dioceses of Dublin and Glendalough.